GrokMart

Spanning the globe for insights into human behavior and persuasion.

1.20.2005

 

Online Marketplace of Ideas, Part 2

Lots of cog floating about my cranium about the online marketplace of ideas, so this may take a few posts...

The blogosphere is obviously thriving -- you wouldn't be reading this obscure blog if it weren't. Bloglines says it indexes more than 257 million articles. Technorati watches more than 6.2 million blogs.

I was a college student when the Internet started to take off. There was buzz around the English department (I double majored in English and Journalism -- how's that for overkill?) about this new form of writing -- hypertext -- where the rules of communicating were supposed to be different. The hype coming from Silicon Valley was that everyone could be a publisher. I believed the hype and learned HTML and how to use WS_FTP. It helped me get a few jobs, but I never published my own website. Not that I couldn't have done it. It's just that no one would have cared.

Now thanks to blogging, my knowledge of HTML is useful but not necessarily essential. And FTP? What a pain. Blogs certainly make it easier to publish online. Does that make them revolutionary? No. But here's what does: The blogosphere is becoming the online marketplace of ideas because of the currency it gives to bloggers... (drum roll, please) Links.

(Can I hear a "yougottabekiddinme"?)

Linking is what gives bloggers their power. More to come.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

01.2005   02.2005   03.2005   04.2005   05.2005   06.2005   07.2005   08.2005   09.2005   10.2005   11.2005   12.2005   01.2006   02.2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?