GrokMart

Spanning the globe for insights into human behavior and persuasion.

1.10.2006

 

PR Cred

I've been told that I'm more likely to achieve a goal if I tell someone about it. That's why I'm telling you about a goal I'd like to accomplish this year: getting accredited in public relations.

I mentioned my APR ambition to a friend today. He replied, "Why on Earth... ?" A few reasons: when I got my first PR job out of college, I asked my boss if any further education would help my career. His response was that he really saw no reason to get a graduate degree in communications.

"You don't get better at this stuff by studying it, you get better by doing it," he said. (Still, there's that little voice that's saying the longer I wait to get a Master's degree, the harder it will be.) But he also said that, in his experience, a professional designation that carried some weight was an APR.

That was almost nine years ago, which brings me to the second reason: I've been doing this for a while; it's time to see how I stack up with the rest of the PR world.

So, I'm going to blog about my APR effort periodically--hopefully my experience can help anyone who else who wants to give it a shot. And, if anyone who is accredited reads this, I'd appreciate any advice you can offer.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

01.2005   02.2005   03.2005   04.2005   05.2005   06.2005   07.2005   08.2005   09.2005   10.2005   11.2005   12.2005   01.2006   02.2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?